Lee Joon Gi is a South Korean actor, model, and singer under talent management agency “Namoo Actors”. He is often regarded as a “flower boy” icon. He rose to fame in “The King and the Clown”.
Lee Joon Gi first made his film debut in the movie The Hotel Venus (Japanese production). His first drama appearance was in Star’s Echo, a two-part mini drama aired by MBC and Fuji TV in 2004. He then made appearances in Nonstop 4 , Drama City: What Should I Do? and the movie Flying Boys.
In 2005, he got his first major acting role in the movie The King and the Clown. In this movie he played the role of the jester Gong Gil, and shows his great acting skills, which propelled him to stardom and popularity all over Asia, and he also received many awards. His next role was as the supporting character, Seo Jung Woo, in the drama My Girl. In this drama, he radically changed the image of his role as Gong Gil from his previous movie, The King and the Clown. Due to this drama, Lee Joon Gi’s popularity increased considerably, not only in Korea but all over Asia and abroad as well.
He also made other great dramas and movies such as Virgin Snow, May 18 / Splendid Holiday, Time Between Dog And Wolf and his very popular and successful drama Iljimae in 2008. Joon Gi’s reputation in the Asian film industry is even more amazing, because he becomes even more popular with every drama and movie he makes. Some unexpected events have happened to actor Lee Joon Gi in 2009.
He released a digital album with musician Kim Hyang Suk. The album includes 5 songs that were released in 2009. Corresponding to Fan meeting Episode I: Fan Meeting held on May 21, 2006, Fan meeting Episode II: Mask was held on April 18, 2009, where after just opening the box office for ticket sales, approx. 4,000 tickets were sold in just two minutes.
- Speaks the following languages: Korean, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese and English.
- First Debut: 2001 in “So Basic” as a clothing model.
- Education: Seoul University of the Arts as an Actor.
- Religion: Catholicism (baptismal name: Peter)
- Practiced martial arts: Tae Kwon Do 3rd degree, Hapkido 1st degree and Taekkyeon 1st degree.
- Joon Gi donated 20 million won to poor families at the mid-autumn festival in 2006. And 70 million won to the youth center in Korea in 2006.
- Dispute with Mentor Entertainment: In September 2008, he had a dispute with his former agency Mentor Entertainment. The agency sued him for 1.5 billion won for “allegedly violating his contract and showing no remorse for it.” Mentor Entertainment won the case however the dispute was later settled and the lawsuit was cancelled. Lee consented to maintain his loyalty to the agency and has consented to disclose the conflict between him and his agent by speaking about his signing the previous year. After Lee and Mentor Entertainment resolved their misunderstandings, all misconduct was rescinded and they agreed to keep the relationship. However, Mentor Entertainment would not drop its lawsuit against Lee’s previous manager, Mr. Kim, who was blamed for the misunderstanding. A spokesman for Mentor Entertainment said, “The declared conflict between us and Lee Joon Gi has been completely resolved, but the lawsuit for Mr. Kim for cheating with his work still continues.” In response Lee said, “I am sorry to hear the fans’ concern, and I hope everything will go well and I would like to thank the fans with all sincerity for their great support.”
- Military service: On May 3, 2010 he began his military service ending it on February 16, 2012.
- He was in the same base as Lee Dong Gun, Andy, Kim Ji Hoon, Lee Wan , Kim Ji Suk and Park Hyo Shin.
- Actor Lee Joon Gi and singer Park Hyo Shin both participated in the concert tour “Korean National Military Symphony” . This tour is dedicated to the “commemoration of the unsung heroes” of the Korean War, and the two traveled to the United States on September 19, 2011.
- On June 10, 2015, he suffered an accident while filming an action scene for the drama Scholar Who Walks the Night, together with his partner in the drama Lee Yoo Bi, he had to be rushed to the hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery on his nose, due to the fracture of the nasal bone. The shooting of the drama and his schedule had to be canceled for a week.
- He made his Hollywood debut with the film Resident Evil 6.
- On April 04, 2017, his agency confirmed that he has been in a romantic relationship with actress Jun Hye Bin since early 2016. The two met in 2013 when they worked together in drama The Joseon Shooter.
- On August 25, 2017, it was reported that Jun Hye Bin and Lee Joon Gi have decided to end their relationship due to their busy schedules. However, they will continue to support each other as colleagues.